Friday, April 30, 2010

Drugs while on vacation are a good thing

Thought that title might get your attention.

    Christine, who is our donor coordinator, called me up to give me the date for the start of the medication. Anne had ordered all of the medications for the entire process and they came in the mail. April 3 is the start date. Perfect. That is while I'm on vacation. No big deal, I can just take everything with me. As long as I can remember to take it, right? Riiiiiiight.

    I forgot the first day, but so did Anne, so it's all good.  She started a week earlier than me. It's a drug called Lupron and is used to suppress our own natural cycle. Apparently we were only a week off. It has to be administered by a needle into the stomach on either side of the belly button. It kinda hurts. And once in awhile, I hit a blood vessel or something and end up bruising pretty badly. Here's the proof.
Sorry you had to see that, I really am. I actually have a different bruise right now that is 2 1/2 times bigger than this one. I thought I would spare you and not take another picture of my stomach to put on here. You've seen enough already.

     It turns out I looked at the wrong paper when I started the Lupron. I was supposed to be starting at 20 units, not 10. So when I went in for my blood test to check my Estradiol levels, they were way too high. I told Christine it was my fault because I was taking the wrong dosage. She said "I know we talked about doing 20 units". Yes, we did Christine. We talked about a lot of things that day. Remember when I said "information overload"? Well, that was the day she told me how much dosage to start on. Along with me worrying about softball and getting everything done before we left for vacation! (I told you I'd come back to this) But it is no one's fault but my own. It turns out God worked it that way for a reason though. The transfer will happen a week later than it would have, which works out better timing wise.

New instructions- Up the dosage to 20 units and do another blood test in a week.
Oh man, not another blood test. At least I didn't bruise as badly this time.

I think I worried Anne a little. I assured her I would not mess this up anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment