Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sonogram/Mock Transfer

We have a photo to make the post a little more interesting.

    So the first appointment after getting the results back from the personality profile was coming in for a new patient appointment with Dr. Young. It was simple enough. They got my measurements (it was interesting learning what my BMI was!) and did a simple exam. Then they sat me down and talked about the entire procedure and any ifs or buts that could occur. I had to sign a few papers and then was sent home with all the paperwork, including a stack that had to be signed and notarized by me and Scott. Talk about information overload! This was a somewhat stressful time for me. I had just started coaching JV softball and worrying about having enough girls to have a team. We were also getting ready to go on vacation for 10 days in the next couple of weeks. (I'm building this up to make a point at a later date).

     So Scott and I got all the papers signed and notarized. Next step was a blood test. We made it a family outing and brought everyone along. A lady with a heavy accent was the one that helped us. I don't know how experienced she was but she had to wiggle mine around quite a bit. They needed a lot of blood from me. She filled 5 or 6 different bottles. Scott was hilarious to watch. He tried to put on a brave face because the boys were watching. My elbow bruised so badly, it hurt for 2 weeks afterwards.

     The next appointment was a week or so later and was a sonogram and a practice transfer (or mock transfer). Anne came with me so that we could be on the same page and experience everything together. I also thought this was the appointment where I had to take a Valium, but this wasn't the case. She practiced driving all the way there because she was going to be trying to get her driver's license soon. She doesn't want to always be waiting on us to take her where she needs to go, apparently. What's the deal, right? I'm joking, of course.

    Both procedures went very quickly and was quite easy.  For the sonogram, they filled me up (I'll spare you specifics) with water to check for any problems. Everything checked out great. They used something called a probe and that is what our picture is of. Isn't that nice for us to illustrate that for all of you!



    They also did the mock transfer. This is the exact procedure they will use when they do the actual transplant.  They did a practice to measure how long of a distance it is to the perfect drop off point. They need to know this ahead of time so it is exact and not a guessing game.

    I was nervous for no good reason. Everything went smoothly and was very easy. Poor Anne got an eyeful, but it isn't anything she's not going to see for the birth!

No comments:

Post a Comment