Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Game On

I'm not sure if anyone caught that movie quote. If you did, you're pretty cool.

So, after the roller coaster ride of decisions and emotions, the plans to carry Dave and Anne's baby is back on.

    Anne has already been partway through the first phase, but for me it's all new.  The first step for Scott and I- counseling. This was an interesting introduction to the whole experience.

    When I approached the counter at the fertility center, I let them know I was there to be a surrogate for Anne DeWitt. I was abruptly corrected at the use of the term surrogate. I learned that surrogate usually means your own egg is being used in the procedure. This is not the case for us. So I learned the new correct term- Gestational Carrier. That's what I am.

    Scott, the counselor, and I sat in a little room where she probed into every detail of my life- past and present.  She wanted to know about my parents and each of my siblings and my relationships with them. She wanted to know why I hadn't even told my mom about what we were doing, about my parents whole messy divorce, about how we were raised, and about what my family is like now. Then she got into more personal questions (if that's possible) like asking if my husband is abusive and what our sex life is like. Scott was sitting right there with a beet red face the entire time. He remained pretty quiet for the most part. She had given us the option of having him leave when she got to those questions, but we did not feel it was necessary. He was probably wishing he had chose to leave!

    Then Scott went to the waiting room and I took a personality profile test for an hour. It was over 300+ questions. A lot of the questions asked the same thing but the wording was different. I was chuckling at quite a few of them. 'Do you hear voices that no one else can hear?' 'Do you often feel you are being followed or someone is out to get you?' 'Do you or did you love your father and think he was a good person?' There were some pretty strange questions. We already got the results back. Turns out I'm not crazy because they gave us the go ahead. I believe Dave and Anne had to go through the same rigorous process, but I'm not sure.

Next appointment- The sonogram and mock transfer.

No comments:

Post a Comment