Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Saga Continues

Sorry if I left you hanging from my last post. I figured it was a good place to stop since I tend to get a little long winded.

I make this outlandish offer to Dave and Anne and I'm not quite sure anyone took me serious. So I said it again but with more determination. Scott said, "Isn't this something you should talk to your husband about first?"

     Scott and I had tentatively decided we were done having babies after the birth of our fourth son. I think he was ready to move on to the next stage of life and away from the baby stage. And in a way, I was too. I was ready to get my body back into shape and be able to enjoy my older boys a little more. Being pregnant or having an infant kind of ties you down. It makes it difficult to do activities with your older children. But those things couldn't stop me from wanting to have a baby for Dave and Anne.  There was a single thought that kept me steadfast in my decision. A thought that I couldn't even fathom.

What if I hadn't been able to conceive? How would that feel and how would it have affected my life?

    When I told my family about our decision, it was met with some skepticism.  In fact, there were some family members that were a bit negative about it.  But that didn't deter me one bit.  I believe it was their lack of knowledge that led to their attitude. Most of my family was very receptive and supportive.  So it was settled and proceedings began.

    Dave and Anne grappled with the decision they were making. They were putting off surgery that would eliminate the cancer growth from Anne's body.  This was a risk, they were told, they could take for a short period of time.  So, Anne started the drugs that would help her body produce a large number of eggs that would then be harvested.  In the meanwhile, Dave and Anne did a lot of investigating and praying. The doctors informed them that Anne would have to have a full hysterectomy, including her ovaries. This would leave no chance of children of their own after the surgery. After weighing many factors and looking at total costs for everything included, Dave and Anne decided to stop pursuing this route.

    I was heartbroken for Anne. I knew this was something she wanted so badly, but together they decided they weren't willing to risk her health in order to achieve it. They also knew that for the cost involved, they could do even more by going with adoption. We were all saddened for them. They would not have children of their own......

...but why would I start a blog if that were the end?

God is awesome. We received word from Dave shortly after Anne's surgery- the cancer was only in the cervix. That meant she would still have her ovaries when all was said and done. That meant the decision was still theirs to make. They could still have children of their own, just not in Anne's body.

No comments:

Post a Comment